Tuesday, May 14, 2019

chalk board

As followed on from the previous post.
Visiting the coast with my grid in hand. At this point it feels like a dull cavity aimlessly drifting,
albeit with the relaxed optimism of a dispersal vectors hiatus.   


I walk along the sandy coast with grid in hand and camera in the other. Initially I thought the stickers on the grid were sweet. They reminded me of childhood ‘secret’ diaries or school desk graffiti. how vomit-worthy it was accidently touching a squidge of still sticky gum hidden on the underside. It was equivalent to touching someone’s tonsils, I thought. And right now I imagine the gum as a little brain hidden. I left many of my brains in school like that. I leave my brains everywhere!
Though now the moment has passed and I am long disenchanted with this glume of an object;
Plastic. Square. Boring. Piece. Of. Trash.
(still kind of funny) 


wistfulness away away, I proceed to scour the sand as it meets the water, following that ebbing line and tracing the shells, rocks, and whatever else. With camera I zero in on the up-close details as my eyes feel texture. And then the necessary moments of taking in the whole, of lifting my head up to remind myself there is a sky and people and dogs and children and all else I could bump into.  And on this particular lift I encounter a man who worked in the hospital when I was a patient. An awkward mutual recognition prompts an emotional shift. I feel slightly embarrassed. And somewhat torn. Between what I was just doing and what it now means, especially to him. Absolutely nothing. Just a bit of plastic. Looks a little cagey. A woman tapping his face saying ‘is this democracy’.
The restlessness of children.

Moving on.
I begin to find plastic objects that do not look edible:


I get this vague and fleeting impression that everything is being turned to plastic like this grid.


silent letters


a partially buried plastic man. who I swear was him.
 Lost, diminutive. a little sad. and headless. or possibly pushing through a field of sand?
toys. props.
I turn around onto a skate park. graffitied on the wall are various marine scenes. One mural steals my complete attention as it seems a perfect moment to leave this grid.

Here comes some cinematic magic!
Are you ready?
a 4 shot cluster
 leaving brains under the school desks
come chalk the board with obscenities to mark your departure
Let me demonstrate





populated as if by magic!
later recomposing into a mosaic of a mother delimiting her son with flag after flag:



No comments:

Post a Comment

Mess